Axis 1 Research and innovationObjective 1b1 Strengthening the synergic and networking operation of R+i at a transnational level in the specific Sudoe sectors as from smart specialisation
- Automotive industry
2. Fundación para la Promoción de la Innovación, Investigación y Desarrollo Tecnológico de la Industria de Automoción de Galicia ES
3. RESCOLL FR
4. Instituto de Ciência e Inovação em Engenharia Mecânica e Engenharia Industrial PT
The AEROCAR project aims to create a technological transfer network between the aeronautics and vehicle sectors of Spain, France, and Portugal. This collaboration will allow the development of new solutions in keeping with the common needs of companies in both sectors and will improve their productivity by means of the creation of new technologies, materials, and processes or by transferring them from one sector to another. Both sectors are of strategic importance in south-west Europe owing to their high innovation potential and the creation of high added value employment.
- País Vasco
AEROCAR transfers technologies between the highly specialized sectors of the automotive and aeronautics sectors. To do this, it creates real prototypes based on technologies from both sectors.
First, the project started with an analysis and prioritization of the most necessary technologies and materials. A series of companies were selected as well as the prototypes to be developed. One of the main objectives was to reduce the weight and increase the performance of the components used in the two sectors, thus allowing the reduction of energy consumption and improving competitiveness. Among the developed prototypes, it is worth highlighting:
- An intercostal frame;
- A valve;
- A structure of a car assistant;
- A thermosetting matrix carbon composite adhesive.
The elaboration of these prototypes allowed reaching a series of conclusions:
- The growing interest in thermoplastic materials in the aeronautical sector;
- The need for a more rigorous development in structural applications of thermoplastic materials in the aeronautical sector;
- The interest of the SMC for the automotive industry.
In addition, participating companies from both sectors came to sign collaboration agreements at the end of the project to continue producing parts following the logic of AEROCAR.